17th (Duke of Cambridge's Own) Lancers - Silver Bowl, 1903
YEAR OF MANUFACTURE: 1903
ORIGIN: London, England
MAKER: Charles Stuart Harris, London, active circa 1853 to 1904
Measurements: Diameter: 26.5cm (10.4in)
A silver regimental presentation bowl, engraved with the Death’s Head badge and inscribed ‘17th Lancers Regimental Steeplechase Cup won by The Honourable John Pleydell-Bouverie's 'Robin Grey' Aged (Sic) at Dundalk, Ireland 1875’. Maker’s mark of Charles Stuart Harris. Hallmarked London 1903.
Captain the Hon. John Pleydell-Bouverie (1846-1925) was born at Longford Castle in Wiltshire, the fourth son of the 4th Earl of Radnor and his wife, daughter of James Walter Grimston, 1st Earl of Verulam. He was commissioned into the 17th Lancers in 1867 and became Lieutenant in 1869, and Captain in 1877. During the Zulu War he was a member of the court that examined the conduct of Lieutenant Jahel Carey, whose seven-man patrol was ambushed with loss of Napoléon, Prince Imperial on 1 June 1879. Public opinion on both sides of the English Channel demanded that someone be held accountable for the prince's death, and Lieutenant Carey became the scapegoat. He was found guilty of fleeing in the face of the enemy rather than aiding the prince, and was condemned to be expelled from the army. However, the judgment was subsequently overturned by the Duke of Cambridge.
Pleydell-Bouverie was afterwards present at the action of Zuinguin Mountain and at the final defeat of the Zulu army at the Battle of and Ulundi on 3 July 1879. Pleydell-Bouverie accompanied his regiment to India where he married in 1882 Grace Harriet, daughter of Lieutenant General Robert Mallaby, late Bombay Staff Corps. After retirement the Pleydell-Bouveries purchased Blackmore Hall at Sidmouth, Devon a large house with splendid gardens. Colonel Pleydell-Bouverie died at Blackmore Hall in 1925. His widow sold the house and gardens to Sidmouth council in 1952. Blackmore Hall was demolished in 1953 to make way for a municipal car park. The only part of the house surviving is the tiled floor of the veranda, which now serves as the plinth for the row of benches just inside the public gardens.
The Armoury St James's
17 Piccadilly Arcade, London, SW1Y 6NH, United Kingdom View map
Show this exhibitor's phone number
View all of this exhibitor's items